Monday, February 4, 2008

Kyrilean's Journal: While I Was Gone

I was going to avoid writing too much about my actual day-to-day online experiences, but a lot of you are doing it and I figure I may as well too. Perhaps in doing so I will discover new topics to write about. So the first one is just a recap of some of the things I missed while away the past two weeks.

Last Wednesday my computer came back from the store. They had to replace the motherboard. Thankfully it was still under warranty. I really thought as soon as I got home that I would boot up and play WoW. I had even written a blog about being addicted. Although I booted up and logged in, I only stayed on for a minute to see who was there. I've been using CoD4 on Xbox Live as a crutch and still felt the urge to continue playing. I let my GM know what happened and took a look at the guild roster. It had changed quite a bit. Several people weren’t there, including one key person.

I was pretty shocked at what I saw. The key person that left was surprising, but I guess it shouldn’t have been. He had been going off with others to run instances constantly and was really starting to get into raiding. He was rarely with the rest of us unless we really needed his help on something. Our guild has slowly puttered along trying to get to Kara, so I should have seen it coming.

The roster was down about 15 people since last time I was on. That might not seem like much, but we’ve averaged around 70 members for quite some time so it’s a blow. I found out later that a couple of characters were alts sent to another guild that we’re partnering up with. So I guess at least one of my alts will be headed that way too.

Another member was evidently kicked because of ongoing drama. Before I left he got drunk one night and became extremely vulgar and antagonistic towards other members. Mainly he was goofing off and trying to be funny. Although we’re pretty laid back, we do have an age range of players in the guild. I know we have a couple of 12 year olds and I’m sure their parents wouldn’t appreciate us not doing something about it. Evidently he had continued his antics while I was gone and was finally booted permanently. The note of the day says anyone that invites him back will get booted too. LOL!

Apparently others left during this time, either to pursue advancement with other guilds due to our slow progress, the drama, or a combination of both. We also cleared out those who hadn’t been online in over a month. I have a level 5 alt that was a casualty of the cleaning. I laughed when I saw him gone and gave the GM crap for that one, although I hadn’t told him who the character belonged to. :)

Evidently the guild almost crumbled during this time. The GM felt like things were falling apart and almost gave up. Luckily he didn’t. I love this guild! Although we all would have ended up somewhere else together anyway, it just wouldn’t be the same.

Now we’re trying to fix things. I’m looking into starting up a guild website. I have no experience in doing that though. I'll post what I'm thinking about it in a separate blog. I’d appreciate any input.

No comments: