Friday, May 2, 2008

Things to Remember

I read World of Matticus on a daily basis. Almost every day he writes about something that I can relate to and today is no different. In yesterday's post Matticus wrote about giving some advice to those just starting out in WoW from a level 70's perspective. Its advice we'd all do well to remember regardless of level.

Last night's raid ironically showed a lot of these things that need to be remembered.

#3 – Players have long memories. Don't be an ass or you might regret it when you finish leveling.

This goes two ways. With regards to Jim, he's an ass. Everyone knows it. He won't be grouping with me in anything anytime soon. Whether he regrets it or not, I don't care. He might not need anything from Kara again, but who knows. If he ever needs a healer, I won't be volunteering.

Gotta remember my own friends were frustrated and leaving the party like that may be viewed as being an ass. Need to spend more time cooling down or approaching them before leaving. Even though I announced it with what I feel was an appropriate amount of time, need to be more respectful of giving them a better opportunity.

#5 - Assume the person you're interacting with is the real deal. The game's anonymity aspect.

This is definitely my view of Jim. He has a big mouth and rarely closes it. I'm all for the joking around and teasing people as I'm known to do it a lot, but there is a limit to how much and with regards to what's appropriate. I hope I know the line.

#8 - The achievements you accomplish in game are what you make of them not what anyone else says.

This one relates a lot. I sarcastically pointed out that I wasn't being selfish and was offended at being accused of such. Everyone has things they want to do. I want the next piece of gear, badges, titles, etc. as much as the next guy, but they're hollow and meaningless without getting those with the friends you're with. As a healer I could easily find a place with any guild and get all the things I've been dreaming about for months in a relatively short period of time, but I don't. I made the mistake of going off to help one friend's guild try and take down Gruul without the rest of my friends. I didn't know anyone. I didn't know the boss. Even though it was kinda cool to see new content, it didn't mean crap without my friends there. I found myself bored.

#11 - Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies on your ignore list.

I was told I could ignore people. Maybe I should start.

#12 - The game's loot is not worth getting emotional over. The people are. Don't get the two confused.

I thought about this because lately a lot of my posts have been highly emotional. I felt I had to support a fellow guildie who defended a raid healer from Jim. I did that by leaving the group after Jim refused to stop. I got emotional, but I don't feel bad about it because I believe I did it for the right reason.

#14 - Just like in the real world, you don't have to be best friends with a someone to work with them. There are a fair number of people in my Guild who I wouldn't have drinks with.

I might not have to be best friends to work with Jim, but I'm not being paid to work with him either.

#20 - The only thing constant about the game is change. There's nothing you can do about it other than to learn and to adapt without complaint.

Well I'm complaining here I suppose, but he's right. Adapting for me means not grouping with Jim again, even if it were to mean the rest of my guild did. I once compromised my values which lead to my WoW burnout a few weeks ago. I became obsessed about the loot, the next raid, etc. I put those values above what I really liked playing for. I'll not do that again.

I'll adapt by accepting that I might not be able to go on raids, get that piece of Tier 6 gear, or getting that Champion of the Naaru title. Absolute worst case scenario and one I pray never happens, I find other friends to do those things with. I may have to accept someday that those friends value those things enough that they will be forced to continue on without me whether they want to or not. It won't be anything personal, it's just part of the game. Why continue playing if you cannot advance?


No comments: