Thursday, January 24, 2008

World of Warcraft Addiction

If you scan the internet, especially blogs, for WoW addiction you will find some interesting opinions out there. [Edit: 1/25/08 - Read this interesting blog.] Here’s my take on it with my recent bout of WoW addiction.

Last Friday, my laptop went out. I took it back to Best Buy to have them look at it. I purchased it last April and so at least it’s covered by the protection plan. I haven’t heard back from them yet, but the guy thought it was due to the video card being burnt out. He then told me that if that’s gone the motherboard will have to be replaced. I’m an idiot when it comes to computers. The last time I felt caught up on the whole computer thing was when the Tandy 1000 was the computer of choice.

Well, Best Buy had to send the laptop back for repairs. I should get it back by the end of next week. I’ve actually managed to go a week without playing WoW. I deserve a medal! Actually it hasn’t been as hard as I thought it would be. But I’ve had a crutch to lean on. Call of Duty 4!!! I also spent the time to finally complete Assassin’s Creed as well. Both are great games and diversions from WoW.

I never played a MMORPG before. Refused to purchase any game that required a monthly fee out of principle. Felt that I already paid the game, why keep paying? Anyway, I fell for it and wish I’d done it sooner. I have to admit that I’m one of the people spending about 4 hours a night and 8 hours/day on the weekends playing WoW.

How did I get addicted to WoW? My wife can’t figure it out and doesn’t understand the obsession. She also regrets that it was her idea to buy the game in the first place. We were at the store buying the laptop for her. I was looking around and saw the game and expressed mild curiosity about the game, mostly because the new expansion came out and I had read about the success Blizzard was having with it. I still couldn’t understand why anyone would pay a monthly fee though. Since my wife always has a guilty conscience whenever she spends money, she suggested I pick it up and play it for 30 days. I guess she didn’t think I’d get hooked! LOL! Her bad!

What is it that addicts me? Well originally it was the new experience of learning a class, getting talents, learning skills, upgrading weapons/armor, questing, exploring, etc. Now that I’m finally level 70, it’s about getting that blasted epic flying mount, getting to Karazhan, daily quests, and getting tier 4 armor. Eventually I want to get tier 6, but I need to remember to take baby steps. I kept trying to get tier 4, but wasn’t geared for it. Finally I got into the battlegrounds to get the Ornamented Gladiator’s Armor. I finally have all that. There are a couple of more items I’d like to get, but I think I burned myself out on the BGs for now.

So I’m addicted to WoW! But I don’t care! It’s my escape from the real world, helps me calm down after a rough day, and is something I thoroughly enjoy. I just need to remember; I have a family and need to spend time with them. As long as I’m able to find that balance, I should be OK. I’ve been able to cope without playing a little better than I thought I would, but I do miss it. Hopefully, I only have to endure this one more week. Maybe this was a good thing for me. Hopefully it will refresh me for when I get back. I have to admit that the last month was starting to get real repetitive and I didn’t feel like I was getting anywhere.

Anyway, Blizzard knows how to cater to my addiction and to everyone else’s apparently. Give us the satisfaction of working hard at something and we’ll keep coming back for more. I can’t wait until Wrath of the Lich King comes out!

No comments: